CONDUCT OF PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATIONS
Sec. 2. Officers authorized to conduct preliminary investigations. – The following may conduct preliminary investigations:
(a) Provincial or City Prosecutors and their assistants;
(b) Judges of the Municipal Trial Courts and Municipal Circuit Trial Courts;
(c) National and Regional State Prosecutors; and
(d) Other officers as may be authorized by law.
Their authority to conduct preliminary investigations shall include all crimes cognizable by the proper court in their respective territorial jurisdictions.
WHO MAY CONDUCT PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATIONS?
1. Provincial or city prosecutors and their assistants
2. National and Regional State prosecutors
3. COMELEC with respect to election offenses
4. Ombudsman with respect to Sandiganbayan offenses and other offenses committed by public officers
5. PCGG with respect to ill-gotten wealth
CAN RTC JUDGES CONDUCT PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATIONS?
> No, but this should not be confused with the authority of the RTC to conduct an examination for the purpose of determining probable cause when issuing a warrant of arrest